Slow periods are the bane of the freelancer’s existence. You’ve met your deadlines, you’ve invoiced the jobs. Now what? As an inveterate list maker, I present a list of what to do during a slow period:
1. Brush the bog. Sooner you do it, the sooner it’s done. And it’s looking pretty disgusting.
2. Catch up on your bookkeeping. Tax time looms.
3. Vacuum your work area.
4. File crap. Keep, recycle, shred. Maybe you should vacuum after you shred, in case, you . . . uh . . . drop a shit ton of shredded paper on the carpet.
6. Organize your passwords. LastPass is great for this. Wait, you do have more than one password, right?
7. In the name of all that’s holy, change your passwords!
8. Read three months’ worth of blogs and Facebook articles you’ve been saving for later.
9. Tweet them. You gotta stay top of mind and, hey, it’s better than tweeting about lunch or your friggen cat.
10. Right a blog post about what to do during a slow period.